When Someone Judges You Based on a False Perception

Words are powerful.

They can breathe life into someone who is struggling, offer hope to a weary heart, or remind a person they are seen and valued. But words also have another kind of power—the power to leave wounds that no one else can see.


Recently, I experienced that firsthand.


I had a conversation with someone, and later I learned that the conversation had been repeated in a way that wasn't true to what was actually said. The conversation happened, but the meaning behind my words had been changed. Assumptions filled in the gaps, and those assumptions became the reason this person chose to treat me differently.


Normally, I could let something like that go.


People misunderstand each other. It happens.


But then I heard something that stopped me in my tracks.


I was told that an employee didn't feel comfortable around me because she said I had told her, as well as others, that I got into trouble at my previous employer for bullying.


That wasn't just inaccurate.


It challenged everything I believe about who I am.


You see, the word bully isn't just another word to me. It carries weight.


Not that long ago, someone very close to me experienced bullying. Watching a loved one endure that kind of pain was heartbreaking, and it changed me in ways I never expected. Seeing the emotional toll it took on them—and witnessing the lasting effects they still carry today—left a mark on my heart that will never fully fade. I also watched the impact ripple through our entire family. It showed me firsthand how deeply words and actions can affect a person's life, long after the bullying itself has ended.


I have always believed that kindness matters, but this experience stressed to me the importance of loving and understanding people a little more. We never know what someone is going through. 


I believe encouragement matters.


I believe people deserve to feel safe, respected, and valued.


So to hear that word connected to my name hurt more than I can explain.


Not because I needed everyone to think highly of me, but because it questioned the very character I've spent years trying to build.


I'm not perfect.


I've made mistakes just like everyone else.


But one thing I've always tried to do is leave people better than I found them. I work hard to encourage others, to show compassion, and to make people feel welcome. Those aren't things I do for recognition. They're simply part of who I am.


That experience reminded me of something we all need to remember.


Our words matter.


Before we repeat something someone has said, we should make sure we truly understood it.


Before we assign a label to another person, we should ask ourselves if we're describing who they really are—or simply our interpretation of one conversation.


And before we allow assumptions to shape the way we treat someone, we should remember that every person has a story we may never fully know.


The older I get, the more I realize that people will always have opinions.


Some will misunderstand us.


Some will judge us before they know our hearts.


Some will build an entire picture of who we are based on one moment instead of a lifetime of actions.


We can't control that.


What we can control is the way we respond.


For a little while, I let those words hurt me.


Then I remembered something much more important.


No one else's opinion has the power to rewrite my character.


Character isn't built by what people say about us.


It's built by how we consistently choose to live.


It's found in every act of kindness that no one applauds.


Every moment of generosity that expects nothing in return.


Every decision to extend grace when it would be easier to hold a grudge.


Those moments tell our story far better than rumors ever could.


This experience didn't make me want to defend myself to the world.


It made me want to be even more mindful of the words I choose.


Because I never want someone else to feel the way I felt.


I want to be the person who asks questions instead of making assumptions.


The person who seeks understanding before forming an opinion.


The person who remembers that every conversation has more than one perspective. And never judge a person by YOUR perspective, but judge them by their actions. 


If you've ever had someone misunderstand your heart, question your intentions, or speak on your name in a way that wasn't true, I hope you'll remember this:


You don't have to spend your life proving people wrong.


You simply have to keep living in a way that proves your character right.


Keep choosing kindness.


Keep choosing integrity.


Keep choosing peace.


The people who truly know you won't remember someone else's version of your story.


They'll remember the way you lived your own.


And in the end, that will always be enough.


This obviously isn't my usual uplifting writing, but I needed to write this so I could release it from my heart and move forward. Hearing what was said about me hurt more than I expected, and for a while, I found myself stuck in a place I didn't want to be.

Then I remembered something important: I am not someone else's perception of me. One person's opinion does not define my worth or my character. The people who truly know me know my heart, and that is what matters.

I've chosen to leave this situation where it belongs and continue living my life with peace, purpose, and kindness. Not everyone will like me, understand me, or appreciate who I am—and that's okay. None of that changes who I am.

If this resonates with you, I hope it reminds you not to carry the weight of someone else's misconceptions. Keep living your best life. You deserve to be seen for who you truly are. ❤️

Comments

  1. I love love love this!!! Please keep writing, you have a gift with words; how they can touch someone’s heart or simply help them to choose a better way of talking and/or thinking.
    Thank you kindly

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

True Happiness Starts Within: 3 Powerful Ways to Build Lasting Joy

What If It All Works Out? Choosing Hope Over Fear